Dr. Yujie Sun obtained his Bachelor from the University of Science and Technology of China, PhD degree from the University of Pittsburgh, and postdoctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. In 2011, Dr. Sun joined the Biodynamic Optical Imaging Center (BIOPIC), School of Life Sciences, Peking University. At BIOPIC, Dr. Sun has been developing advanced single molecule and super-resolution imaging techniques to study the structure-function relationship of chromatin and had more than 30 publications over the past 6 years. Dr. Sun has been serving as a board member of the National Committee of Biophysical Chemistry, Chinese Chemical Society, the National Committee of Single Molecule Biology, Chinese Biophysical Society, the National Committee of China Society of Image and Graphics, and associate director of the confocal microscopy division of China Society of Electron Microscopy. Dr. Sun has been awarded the Chinese Thousand Youth Talents Plan in 2011, the Elsevier Scopus Young Scientist Award in 2012, Bayer Investigator in 2017,and the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars in 2018.
• 2005 Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Advisor: Gilbert C. Walker
• 1999 M.A., Chemistry, University of Sci. and Tech. of China, Advisor: Nengwu Zheng
• 1997 B.A., Chemistry, University of Sci. and Tech. of China, Advisor: Nengwu Zheng
• 2011-Present Principle Investigator, School of Life Sciences BIOPIC, Peking University, Beijing, 100871, China
• 2005-2010 Postdoc Fellow, Pennsylvania Muscle Institute & Nano/Bio Interface Center, Univ. of Pennsylvania
Honors and Awards
• Chinese Thousand Youth Talents Plan 2011
• The 3rd Elsevier Scopus Young Scientist Award 2012
• Tonghua Dongbao Life Science Teaching Award 2015
• Bayer Investigator Award（2017）
• the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars（2018）
Professional Society Affiliations
• Board member of the National Committee of Biophysical Chemistry, Chinese Chemical Society
• Board member of the National Committee of Single Molecule Biology, Chinese Biophysical Society
• Board member of the National Committee of China Society of Image and Graphics
• Vice chair of the Confocal Microscopy Committee of China Society of Electron Microscopy
• Visiting Professor of the 3rd Millitary Medical University
Grant Review/Study Section Membership
2011–present，National Natural Science Foundation of China，Review Experts
Meeting Organizers and Session Chairs
• 2013/12/27-28，Organizing “Andor Academy in Beijing” symposium，Peking University；
• 2015/6/14，Organizing “China Biomedical Imaging Summit Forum”，inviting experts of biomedical imaging to discuss the roadmap of china biomedical imaging,Beijing；
• 2015/11/16-20，Organizing and chairing the “Super-resolution technique and application” session of the 14th China & International Biophysical Meeting, Kunming；
• 2015/11/22，Organizing “2015 Young Investigator Forum for New Methods and Technologies of Biomedical Imaging”, Beijing;
• 2017/9/26-28，Organizing “The 2nd Young Investigator Forum for New Methods and Technologies of Biomedical Imaging”，Conference Chair, Xi`an;
• 2017/10/16-20，Organizing the Biodivision of China Electron Microscopy Society Annual Meeting, Chengdu
Topic Editor, PhotoniX
Editor, Chinese Chemical Letters
1. Single molecule biophysics
2. Super-resolution imaging
3. Molecular motors
4. Chromatin structure and dynamics
Representative Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Shipeng Shao, Lei Chang, Yuao Sun, Yingping Hou, Xiaoying Fan, Yujie Sun, `Multiplexed sgRNA Expression Allows Versatile Single Non-repetitive DNA Labeling and Endogenous Gene Regulation`, ACS Synthetic Biology, accepted
2. Multicolor Photo-Crosslinkable AIEgens towards Compact Nanodots for Subcellular Imaging and STED Nanoscopy, Small，accepted
3. Chen X, Liu Z, Li R, Shan C, Zeng Z, Xue B, Yuan W, Mo C, Xi P, Wu C, Sun Y., “Multicolor Super-resolution Fluorescence Microscopy with Blue and Carmine Small Photoblinking Polymer Dots.”, ACS Nano. 2017 doi: 10.1021/acsnano.7b02893.
4. Shipeng Shao, Lei Chang, Yingping Hou, Yujie Sun, “Illuminating the structure and dynamics of chromatin by fluorescence labeling”, Front. Biol. DOI 10.1007/s11515-017-1454-2
5. Wang S, Ding M, Chen X, Chang L, Sun Y. “Development of bimolecular fluorescence complementation using rsEGFP2 for detection and super-resolution imaging of protein-protein interactions in live cells.”, Biomed Opt Express. 2017, 8(6):3119-3131.
6. Zhucheng Chen, Ruifang Guan, Lei Zhang, Qian Su, Keith mickolajczyk, Geng-Yuan Chen, William Hancock, Yujie Sun, and Yongfang Zhao, “Crystal structure of Zen4 in the apo state reveals a missing conformation of kinesin”, Nature Comm. 2017, 8:14951
7. Han X, Li P, Yang Z, Huang X, Wei G, Sun Y, Kang X, Hu X, Deng Q, Chen L, He A, Huo Y, Li D, Betzig E, Luo J., “Zyxin regulates endothelial von Willebrand factor secretion by reorganizing actin filaments around exocytic granules.”, Nat Commun. 2017, 8:14639.
8. Xuanze Chen, Rongqin Li, Zhihe Liu, Kai Sun, Zezhou Sun, Danni Chen, Gaixia Xu, Peng Xi, Changfeng Wu,* & Yujie Sun*, “Photoblinking small semiconductor polymer dots for fluorescence nanoscopy”, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29(5). doi: 10.1002/adma.201604850. (*co-corresponding, VIP paper & cover story)
9. Hu H, Zhang H, Wang S, Ding M, An H, Hou Y, Yang X, Wei W, Sun Y, Tang C., “Live visualization of genomic loci with BiFC-TALE”, Sci. Rep. 2017, 7:40192.
10. Burgess S, Cheng L, Gu F, Huang J, Huang Z, Lin S, Li J, Li W, Qin W, Sun Y, Songyang Z, Wei W, Wu Q, Wang H, Wang X, Xiong JW, Xi J, Yang H, Zhou B, Zhang B., “Questions about NgAgo”, Protein Cell 2016, 7(12):913-915.
11. Sheng Wang, Xuanze Chen, Lei Chang, Ruiying Xue, Haifeng Duan, and Yujie Sun, “GMars-Q Enables Long-Term Live-Cell Parallelized Reversible Saturable Optical Fluorescence Transitions Nanoscopy”, ACS Nano 2016, 10:9136–9144 (cover story)
12. Shen M, Zhang N, Zheng S, Zhang WB, Zhang HM, Lu Z, Su QP, Sun Y, Ye K, Li XD, “Calmodulin in complex with the first IQ motif of myosin-5a functions as an intact calcium sensor”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2016, 113(40):E5812-E5820.
13. Xuanze Chen, Zhiping Zeng, Rongqin Li, Boxin Xue, Peng Xi* and Yujie Sun*, “Superior performance with sCMOS over EMCCD in Super-resolution Optical Fluctuation Imaging (SOFI)”, J. Biomed. Optics 2016, 6:066007 (*co-corresponding)
14. Pu Y, Zhao Z, Li Y, Zou J, Ma Q, Zhao Y, Ke Y, Zhu Y, Chen H, Baker MA, Ge H, Sun Y, Xie XS, Bai F, “Enhanced Efflux Activity Facilitates Drug Tolerance in Dormant Bacterial Cells”, Mol Cell. 2016, 62(2):284-94.
15. Xuanze Chen, Weijian Zong,Rongqin Li, Zhiping Zeng, Jia Zhao, Peng Xi, Liangyi Chen and Yujie Sun, “Two-photon light-sheet nanoscopy by ﬂuorescence ﬂuctuation correlation analysis”, Nanoscale 2016, 8: 9982–9987.
16. Wanqing Du, Qian Peter Su, Yang Chen, Yueyao Zhu, Dong Jiang, Yueguang Rong, Senyan Zhang, Yixiao Zhang, He Ren, Chuanmao Zhang, Xinquan Wang, Ning Gao, Yanfeng Wang, Lingfei Sun, Yujie Sun* and Li Yu*, “Kinesin 1 Drives Autolysosome Tubulation”, Dev. Cell 2016, 37: 326–336 (*co-corresponding)
17. Qian Peter Su, Wanqing Du, Qinghua Ji, Boxin Xue, Dong Jiang, Yueyao Zhu, Jizhong Lou, Li Yu*, and Yujie Sun*, “Vesicle Size Regulates Nanotube Formation in the Cell”, Sci. Rep. 2016, 6:24002 (*co-corresponding)
18. Xuanze Chen, Mian Wei, M. Mocarlo Zheng, Jiaxi Zhao, Huiwen Hao, Lei Chang, Peng Xi, and Yujie Sun, “Study of RNA Polymerase II Clustering insideLive-Cell Nuclei Using Bayesian Nanoscopy”, ACS Nano 2016, 10: 2447–54.
19. Shipeng Shao, Weiwei Zhang, Huan Hu, Boxin Xue, Jinshan Qin, Chaoying Sun, Yuao Sun, Wensheng Wei, Yujie Sun, “Long-term Dual-color Tracking of Genomic Loci by Modified sgRNAs of the CRISPR/Cas9 System”, Nucleic Acids Res. 2016, 44: e86
20. Wang G, Li Y, Wang P, Liang H, Cui M, Zhu M, Guo L, Su Q, Sun Y, McNutt MA, Yin Y, “PTEN regulates RPA1 and protects DNA replication forks”, Cell Res. 2015, 25(11): 1189-204.
21. Gu C, Zhang J, Yang YI, Chen X, Ge H, Sun Y, Su X, Yang L, Xie S1, Gao YQ, “DNA Structural Correlation in Short and Long Ranges”, J. Phys. Chem. B 2015,119(44):13980-90
22. Chong Wang, Wanqing Du, Qian Peter Su, Mingli Zhu, Peiyuan Feng, Ying Li, Yichen Zhou, Na Mi, Yueyao Zhu, Dong Jiang, Senyan Zhang, Zerui Zhang, Yujie Sun* and Li Yu*, “Dynamic tubulation of mitochondria drives mitochondrial network formation”, Cell Res. 2015, 25:1108-20 (*co-corresponding)
23. Na Mi, Yang Chen, Shuai Wang, Mengran Chen, Mingkun Zhao, Guang Yang, Meisheng Ma, Qian Su, Sai Luo, Jingwen Shi, Jia Xu, Qiang Guo, Ning Gao, Yujie Sun, Zhucheng Chen, Li Yu, “CapZ regulates autophagosomal membrane shaping by promoting actin assembly inside the isolation membrane”, Nature Cell Biol. 2015, 17:1112-23
24. Yongliang Li, Zhen Liu, Yifei Zhang, Qian P. Su, Boxin Xue, Shipeng Shao, Yun Zhu, Xiao Xu, Shicheng Wei, Yujie Sun, “Live-cell and super-resolution imaging reveal that the distribution of wall-associated protein A is correlated with the cell chain integrity of Streptococcus mutans”, Mol. Oral Microbiol. 2015, 30:376-83
25. X. Zhang, X. Chen, Z. Zeng, M. Zhang, Y. Sun, P. Xi*, J. Peng*, and P. Xu*, “Development of a reversibly switchable protein for super-resolution optical fluctuation imaging”, ACS Nano 2015, 9:2659-67
26. 苏乾, 刘振, 薛博鑫, 孙育杰，”超高分辨率荧光显微成像: 2014 年诺贝尔化学奖解析”, Chin. Sci. Bull. 2014, 59(34):3342-3
27. Weijian Zong, Jia Zhao, Xuanyang Chen, Yuan Lin, Huixia Ren, Yunfeng Zhang, Ming Fan, Zhuan Zhou, Heping Cheng, Yujie Sun* and Liangyi Chen*, “Large-field high-resolution two-photon digital scanned light-sheet microscopy”, Cell Res.2014,5:1-4 (*co-corresponding)
28. 赵新生,高毅勤, 黄岩谊, 孙育杰, 葛颢, 王任小, 徐平勇, 尉志武, “生物物理化学研究进展”, 化学通报, 2014, 77(7):699-702
29. Zhen Liu, Dong Xing, Qian Su, Xinyu Kong, Jiamei Zhang,Boxin Xue, Hao Sun, Sheng Wang, Yile Tao, Yujie Sun, “Super-resolution Imaging and Tracking of Protein-Protein Interaction in Subdiffraction Cellular Space”, Nature Comm. 2014, 5:4443-4449
30. Zekuan Lu, Xiao-Nan Ma, Hai-Man Zhang,Huan-Hong Ji, Hao Ding, Jie Zhang, Dan Luo,Yujie Sun, and Xiang-dong Li, “Mouse myosin-19 is a plus-end-directed, high-duty molecular motor”, J. Biol. Cell 2014, 289(26): 18535-48
31. Sangjin Kim, Erik Broströmer, Dong Xing, Jianshi Jin, Shasha Chong, HaoGe, Siyuan Wang, Chan Gu, Lijiang Yang, Yi Qin Gao, Xiao-dong Su*, Yujie Sun*, X. Sunney Xie*, “Probing Allostery Through DNA”, Science 2013, 339:816-819 (*co-corresponding)
32. Caporizzo, MA; Sun, Y; Goldman, YE; Composto, RJ, “Nanoscale Topography Mediates the Adhesion of F-Actin”, Langmuir 2012, 28: 12216 -12224.
33. Jianglan Liu, Yuting Zhao, Yujie Sun, Bing He, Changsong Yang, Tatyana Svitkina, Yale E. Goldman,and Wei Guo, “Exo70 Stimulates the Arp2/3 Complexfor Lamellipodia Formationand Directional Cell Migration”, Curr. Biol. 2012, 22: 1–7.
34. Beausang JF, Sun Y, Quinlan ME, Forkey JN, Goldman YE., “Orientation and Rotational Motions of Single Molecules by Polarized Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (polTIRFM)”, Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2012, 5: 535-545.
35. Beausang JF, Sun Y, Quinlan ME, Forkey JN, Goldman YE., “Fluorescent Labeling of Myosin V for Polarized Total InternalReflection Fluorescence Microscopy (polTIRFM) Motility Assays”, Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2012, 5: 616-625.
36. Yujie Sun, Yale E. Goldman, “Lever Arm Mechanics of Processive Myosins”, Biophys. J. 2011, 101: 1-11.
37. Jung H. Park, Yujie Sun, Yale E. Goldman, and Russell J. Composto, “Tunable Nanoscale Channels in Diblock Copolymer Films for Biomolecule Organization”, Langmuir 2010, 26: 10961-10967.
38. Yujie Sun, Osamu Sato, Felix Ruhnow, Mark E. Arsenault, Mitsuo Ikebe, and Yale E. Goldman, “Single Molecule Stepping and Structural Dynamics of Myosin X”, Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2010, 17: 485-491 .
39. Yujie Sun, Harry W. Schroeder III, John F. Beausang, Kazuaki Homma, Mitsuo Ikebe, and Yale E. Goldman, “Myosin VI lever arm rotation: Fixedor variable?”, Proc.Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010, 107: E63.
40. Jung H. Park, Yujie Sun, Yale E. Goldman, and Russell J. Composto, “Self-Assembled Charged Hydrogels Control the Alignment of Filamentous Actin”, Soft Matter, 2010, 6: 915-21.
41. Yujie Sun, Jennine D. McKenna, John M. Murray, E. Michael Ostap and Yale E. Goldman, “Parallax: High Accuracy Three-Dimensional Single Molecule Tracking Using Split Images”, Nano Letters 2009, 9: 2676-2682.
42. Mark E. Arsenault, Yujie Sun, Haim H. Bau, Yale E. Goldman, “Using Electrical and Optical Tweezers to Facilitate Studies of Molecular Motors”, Phys Chem Chem Phys, 2009, 11: 4834-4839.
43. Jung H. Park, Yujie Sun, Yale E. Goldman, and Russell J. Composto, “Amphiphilic Block Copolymer Films: Phase Transition, Stabilization, and Nanoscale Templates”, Macromolecules 2009, 42: 1017-1023.
44. S. Lihong, W. Yiguang, Q. Shengru, Z. Jiaoqiang, Z. Xu, G. Lingjun, S. Lihua, Sun Yujie, A. Yanling, C. Qin, Co3O4 mono-dispersed nanoparticle solubility in high-purity water, Micro & Nano Lett, 2009, 4: 48–52.
45. Yujie Sun, Harry W. Schroeder III, John F. Beausang, Kazuaki Homma, Mitsuo Ikebe, and Yale E. Goldman, “Myosin VI walks “wiggly” on actin with large and variable tilting”, Mol Cell 2007, 28: 954-964.
46. Yujie Sun, Gilbert C Walker, “Viscoelastic Response of Poly-(dimethylsiloxane) in Adhesive Interaction with AFM tips”, Langmuir 2005, 21: 8694-8702.
47. Gilbert C. Walker,Yujie Sun,Senli Guo,John A. Finlay, Maureen E.Callow, James A. Callow, “Surface Mechanical Properties of the Adhesive of the Green Alga Ulva”, J Adhesion 2005, 81: 1101-1118.
48. Yujie Sun, Senli Guo, Chris Kavanagh; Geoff Swain, Gilbert C. Walker. “Surface elastic modulus of barnacle adhesive and release characteristics from silicone surfaces”, Polymer Preprints 2005, 46: 475-476.
49. Yujie Sun,Chris Kavanagh,Senli Guo, Gilbert C. Walker, Geoff Swain“Surface Modulus of Barnacle Baseplates and Barnacle Bioadhesion Studied by Atomic Force Microscopy”, Biofouling 2004, 20: 279-289.
50. Yujie Sun, Boris Akhremitchev, Gilbert C. Walker “Using the Adhesive Interaction between AFM tips and Polymer Surfaces to Measure the Elastic Modulus of Compliant Samples”, Langmuir 2004, 20: 5837-5845.
51. Sang Beom Lee, Richard R. Koepsel, Scott W. Morley, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, Yujie Sun, and Alan J. Russell “Permanent, Nonleaching Antibacterial Surfaces. 1.Synthesis by Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization”, Biomacromolecules 2004, 5: 877-882.
52. Boris B. Akhremitchev, Jason E. Bemis, Sabah al-Maawali, Yujie Sun, Larissa Stebounova; Gilbert C. Walker “Application of scanning force and near field microscopies to the characterization of minimally adhesive polymer surfaces”, Biofouling 2003, 19: 99-104.
53. Yujie Sun; Boris Akhremitchev; Gilbert C. Walker. “Studying the surface modulus of polymers using atomic force microscopy”, Polymer. Mater. Sci.& Eng. 2003, 88: 417.
54. Yujie Sun, Gilbert C. Walker, `Two-Dimensional-Self-Assembly of Latex Particles in Wetting Films on Patterned Polymer Surfaces`, J. Phys. Chem. B. 2002, 106: 2217-2223.
55. Boris B. Akhremitchev; Yujie Sun; Larissa Stebounova; Gilbert C. Walker. “Monolayer-sensitive infrared imaging of DNA stripes using apertureless near-field microscopy”, Langmuir 2002, 18: 5325-5328.
56. Nengwu Zheng, Tao Zhou, Tao Wang, Ruyi Yang, Yujie Sun, Feng Wang, and Chaoguang Chen, “Ground-state atomic ionization energies for Z=2 – 18 and up to 18 electrons”, Phys. Rev. A 2002, 65: 052510.
57. Nengwu Zheng, Yujie Sun, Dongxia Ma, Ruyi Yang, Tao Zhou; Tao Wang. “Theoretical study on regularity of changes in quantum defects in Rydberg state series of many-valence electron atoms within WBEPM theory”, Int. J. Quantum Chem. 2001, 81: 232-237.
58. Nengwu Zheng, Yujie Sun, Tao Wang, Dongxia Ma, Yi Zhang, Wei Su. “Transition probability of lithium atom and lithiumlike ions with weakest bound electron wave functions and coupled equations”, Int. J. Quantum Chem. 2000, 76: 51-61.
59. Nengwu Zheng, Yujie Sun, “The regularities of the Rydberg energy levels of many-valence electron atom Al” , Science in China, Series B. 2000, 43: 113-120.
60. Nengwu Zheng, Tao Wang, Tao Zhou, Yujie Sun, Wei Su; Yi Zhang. “Study of transition probability of low states of alkali metal atoms with WBEPM theory”, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 1999, 68(12): 3859-3862.
61. Nengwu Zheng, Yujie Sun, Wei Su, “The radial expectation values for ground neutral atom (Z=2-54)”, Acta Phys-Chim Sin. 1999, 15:443-448.
62. Yujie Sun, Tao Wang, Nengwu Zheng, “Design and application of object-oriented database of radial expectation values for ground-state atoms and ions (Z = 2-54)”, Comput. Appl. Chem. 1998, 15: 369-372.
Physical Biology of the Cell