1985-1989 Peking University, China B.S. degree
1989-1995 Peking University, China M.S. & Ph.D.
2008 - now, Changjiang Scholar, Peking University
2001 - now, Professor, School of Life Sciences, Peking University
1999 - 2000, Senior Visiting Scholar , MCDB Department, Yale University, USA
1997 - 2001, Associate Professor, College of Life Sciences, Peking University
1995 - 1997, Lecturer, College of Life Sciences, Peking University
1995 - 1996, Visiting Scholar, John Innes Center, UK
Associate Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 2011-2016
Associate Editor, BMC Plant Biology, 2009-
Associate Editor, PLoS Genetics , 2009-
Editor, Molecular Plant, 2008-2013
Editor, Environmental and Experimental Botany, 2005-2015
Editor, Science China Life Science, 2004-
Sexual reproduction in higher plants is composed of multiple biological processes including gametogenesis, male-female interactions, fertilization and embryogenesis, which are under tight genetic regulation. Taking dicotyledous model plant Arabidopsis thaliana as research materials, we aim to dissect the molecular regulation mechanisms involved in plant reproduction by using combinations of genetic, biochemical and molecular biology approaches. We are mainly interested in three categories of the regulatory factors involved in plant reproduction: 1) receptor-like protein kinases/small peptide signals and their signaling pathways; 2) factors regulating protein degradation and/or endomembrane trafficking; 3) transcription factors. We are also interested in developing new tools for genetic editing in plants.
Representative Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Ge Z., Zhao Y., Liu M.-C., Zhou L.-Z., Wang L., Zhong S., Hou S., Jiang J., Liu T., Huang Q., Xiao J., Gu H., Wu H.-M., Dong J., Dresselhaus T., Cheung A.Y., Qu L.-J.* 2019, LLG2/3 are co-receptors in BUPS/ANX-RALF signaling to regulate Arabidopsis pollen tube integrity. Current Biology 29: 3256-3265.
2. Zhong S., Liu M., Wang Z., Huang Q., Hou S., Xu Y.-C., Ge Z., Song Z., Huang J., Qiu X., Shi Y., Xiao J., Liu P., Guo Y.-L., Dong J., Dresselhaus T., Gu H., Qu L.-J.* 2019, Cysteine-rich peptides promote interspecific genetic isolation in Arabidopsis. Science 364: eaau9564.
3. Zhong S., Qu L.-J.* 2019, Peptide/receptor-like kinase-mediated signaling involved in male-female interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 51: 7-14.
4. Ge Z., Cheung A.Y.*, Qu L.-J.* 2019, Pollen tube integrity regulation in flowering plants: insights from molecular assemblies on the pollen tube surface. New Phytologist 222: 687-693.
5. Zhou H., Song Z., Zhong S., Zuo L., Qi Z.*, Qu L.-J.*, Lai L.* 2019, Mechanism of DNA-induced phase separation for transcriptional repressor VRN1. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 58: 4858-4862.
6. Ge Z, Bergonci T, Zhao Y, Zou Y, Du S, Liu MC, Luo X, Ruan H, Garcia-Valencia L, Zhong S, Hou S, Huang Q, Lai L, Moura D, Gu H, Dong J, Wu HM, Dresselhaus T, Xiao J, Cheung A*, Qu L-J* Arabidopsis pollen tube integrity and sperm release are regulated by RALF-mediated signaling. Science 2017, 358: 1596-1600.
7. Zhang J, Huang Q, Zhong S, Bleckmann A, Huang J, Guo X, Lin Q, Gu H, Dong J, Dresselhaus T, Qu L-J* Sperm cells are passive cargo of the pollen tube in plant fertilization. Nature Plants 2017, 3: 17079.
8. He S, Sun Y, Yang Q, Zhang X, Huang Q, Zhao P, Sun M, Liu J, Qian W, Qin G, Gu H, Qu L-J*, A novel imprinted gene NUWA controls mitochondrial function in early seed development in Arabidopsis. PLOS Genetics, 2017, 13(1): e1006553.
9. Hao L, Liu J, Zhong S, Gu H, Qu L-J*, AtVPS41-mediated endocytic pathway is essential for pollen tube-stigma interaction in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 2016, 113: 6307-6312.
10. Hou Y, Guo X, Cyprys P, Zhang Y, Bleckmann A, Cai L, Huang Q, Luo Y, Gu H, Dresselhaus T, Dong J, Qu L-J*, Maternal ENODLs are required for pollen tube reception in Arabidopsis. Current Biology, 2016, 26: 2343-2350.
11. Wu Z, Zhu D, Lin X, Miao J, Gu L, Deng X, Yang Q, Sun K, Zhu D, Cao X, Tsuge T, Dean C, Aoyama T, Gu H, Qu L-J*, RNA-binding proteins RZ-1B and RZ-1C play critical roles in regulating pre-mRNA splicing and gene expression during development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 2016, 28: 55-73.
12. Zhang H, Lin X, Han Z, Qu L-J*, Chai J*, Crystal structure of PXY-TDIF complex reveals a conserved recognition mechanism among CLE peptide-receptor pairs. Cell Research, 2016, 26: 543-555.
13. Zhang H, Lin X, Han Z, Wang J, Qu L-J*, Chai J*, SERK family receptor-like kinases function as a co-receptor with PXY for plant vascular development. Molecular Plant, 2016, 9: 1406-1414.
14. Lin Q, Ogashi Y, Kato M, Tsuge T, Gu H, Qu L-J*, Aoyama T*, GLABRA2 targets basic Helix-loop-helix transcription factor genes to robustly suppress root hair development. Plant Cell, 2015, 27: 2894-2906.
15. Qu L-J*, Li L, Lan Z, Dresselhaus T, Peptide signaling during the pollen tube journey and double fertilization. Journal of Experimental Botany, 2015, 66 (17): 5139-5150.
16. Li R, Li J, Li S, Qin G, Novák O, Pěnčík A, Ljung K, Aoyama T, Liu J, Murphy A, Gu H, Tsuge T, Qu L-J*, ADP1 affects plant architecture by regulating local auxin biosynthesis , PLoS Genetics, 2014 , 10: e1003954
17. Zhu D, Wu Z, Cao G, Li J, Wei J, Tsuge T, Gu H, Aoyama T, Qu L-J*, TRANSLUCENT GREEN, an ERF family transcription factor, controls water balance in Arabidopsis by activating the expression of aquaporin genes. Molecular Plant, 2014,7(4): 601-615.
18. Yang Y, Ou B, Zhang J, Si W, Gu H, Qin G, Qu L-J*, Arabidopsis Mediator subunit MED16 regulates iron homeostasis by associating with EIN3/EIL1 through subunit MED25. Plant Journal, 2014, 77: 838-851.
19. Miao J, Guo D, Zhang J, Huang Q, Qin G, Zhang X, Wan J, Gu H, and Qu L-J, Targeted mutagenesis in rice using CRISPR-Cas system, Cell Research , 2013 , 23: 1233-1236
20. Liu J, Zhong S, Guo X, Hao L, Wei X, Huang Q, Hou Y, Shi J, Wang C, Gu H, Qu L-J*, Membrane-bound RLCKs LIP1 and LIP2 are essential male factors controlling male-female attraction in Arabidopsis. Current Biology, 2013, 23: 993-998.
21. Wang Y, Hou Y, Gu H, Kang D, Chen Z, Liu J, Qu L-J, The Arabidopsis APC4 subunit of the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome (APC/C) is critical for both female gametogenesis and embryogenesis. Plant Journal, 2012, 69(2): 227-240.
22. Luo Y, Qin G, Zhang J, Liang Y, Song Y, Zhao M, Tsuge T, Aoyama T, Liu J, Gu H and Qu L-J*, D-myo-inositol-3-phosphate affects phosphatidylinositol-mediated endomembrane function in Arabidopsis and is essential for auxin-regulated embryogenesis, Plant Cell, 2011, 23: 1352-1372.